Occidental Petroleum of Qatar Ltd. (Oxy Qatar) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:OXY), a leading international oil and gas exploration and production company with nearly 30,000 employees and contractors on four continents.
Oxy has been an active investor in the Middle East/North Africa for more than four decades, with significant growth in the last 10 years. Oxy continues to grow in this key region and is well regarded for its strong performance record, technical expertise and effective working relationships with strategic partners. Oxy is the No. 2 oil producer in Oman and offshore Qatar, and also has operations in Libya, Yemen, Bahrain and Iraq.
For the past 15 years, Oxy has worked closely with Qatar Petroleum to develop and operate offshore oilfields. Oxy operates three offshore oilfields pursuant to production sharing agreements with the State of Qatar: Idd El Shargi North Dome Field, Idd El Shargi South Dome Field and Al-Rayyan Field.
In addition, Oxy is a partner in Dolphin Energy, the premier transborder natural gas project in the Middle East and one of the region’s largest energy initiatives. The Dolphin Project involves development of gas from Qatar’s North Field, onshore gas processing in Ras Laffan City, and export to the United Arab Emirates and Oman.
Oxy is committed to upholding high standards of social responsibility throughout its worldwide operations. This includes a commitment to build the capacity of local workforces through the company’s hiring practices and the transfer of skills and technology.
Considered one of the top companies in Qatar for its efforts to hire and retain national employees, Oxy Qatar is committed to providing promising career opportunities for Qatari nationals and to enhancing the Qatari community.
In January-June 2010, Oxy Qatar participated in the following activities:
Programs with the Education Community
· Texas A&M University, Qatar — Career Fair
· Qatar Career Fair— Organized by QU, QF, Ministry of Labor and QP
· Carnegie Mellon University, Qatar — Professional Day
· College of the North Atlantic, Qatar — Education and Career Expo
· Qatar Independent Technical School — Presentation
· Summer Interns: Students from universities and secondary schools participated in internships
Training and Development Initiatives
· Management essentials
· Event management
· Team building, including cultural awareness
· Time management
· Overview of oil and gas
Social Responsibility Activities
· Qatar Petroleum Environment Fair with the theme, “We are all responsible” — to raise awareness on protecting the environment
· Qatar Society for Rehabilitation and Special Needs — donation for medical equipment and supplies
· Dhreima, Qatar Orphan Foundation — donation to support summer activities of the Dhreima Friends Club
Internal Group (ongoing)
· Qatari Team – The Qatari Team, composed of senior Qatari employees, provides a consultative board for Oxy Qatar management on issues concerning Qataris and Qatarization